Want to adopt a greyhound? Here are some facts you should know!
- Currently there is a shortage of adoptable racing greyhounds due to the significant reduction of greyhound breeding over the last 7 years.
- The complete greyhound Ban does not go into effect until the end of 2020. Currently race tracks are able to stop racing as of January 1, 2019, but most have committed to continue until the ban takes place.
- Some seasonal track have already planned to discontinue racing in Melbourne and the two tracks in Miami but none of these tracks had greyhounds on site when the decision was made.
- Adoptions will continue at a much slower rate until tracks decide when to stop racing in 2020.
- If you are not located in Brevard or Indian River Counties, you can find the closest greyhound adoption group near you at the greyhound project website http://adopt-a-greyhound.org/directory/list.cfm
- Florida adoption groups have always shipped greyhounds to groups all over the US for adoption.
- Please apply at your local group but plan to be patient.
About our Group!!!
Greyhound Pet Adoptions of Central Florida (GPACF) is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization dedicated to the placement of greyhounds into qualified, caring and loving homes or the shipment to other qualified adoption agencies in non-racing states. Greyhounds make excellent Pets and will amaze you with their kind, loving, calm nature. These “Gentle Giants” will leave paw prints on you heart.
GPACF is located on Florida’s Central East Coast often referred to as the Space Coast since we are in the Shadow of the Kennedy Space Center. Our primary objective is the placement of retired racing greyhounds. Since our greys are in fast company, they are eager to become 45 mph couch potatoes. GPACF primarily adopts greyhounds in the Brevard and Indian River Counties.
You can help our organization by mailing donations to the address below or
- via PayPal – PayPal.Me/gpacf